Food and Beverage Assistant
Grade 3 – £11.28 – £11.92 an hour (£20,578 – 21,769 annual)
28 Days annual leave
Location: Heriot Watt University, Riccarton Campus, The Avenue, Edinburgh EH14 4AS – in the course of your duties you will be expected to work in any catering unit / area to provide cover or work on events.
- Advertisement -
FTE and working pattern: 1.0 FTE – 35 hours per week – 5 days from 7, on a rota basis during the opening hours applicable to your campus. Evening and Weekend work will be required.
Job Identification1967Job CategoryCampus ServicesLocationsHeriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, GBPosting Date03/27/2023, 01:45 PMDegree LevelNo qualificationsJob ScheduleFull time
We have a number of vacancies for Food & Beverage Assistants in all areas of the university. The purpose of the role is to provide and assist with the provision of professional, welcoming, high quality, flexible catering service to students, colleagues and visitors to the University across all areas where the service is provided or may be provided by the in house team. In addition to the service of meals snacks and refreshments to customers, Food and Beverage Assistants must operate a till where required and assist in the set-up, service and clearing of functions.
- Open and securely close outlets, including key collection and deposit.
- The preparation and pre service activities prior to the opening of an outlet or the start of an event.
- Provide high quality, friendly efficient customer service to all customers
- Operate the outlet tills – to include cashing up the till at the start and end of a shift, taking payments whether cash, credit, contactless or cashless.
- To assist with receiving and putting away food deliveries and stock counting.
- To maintain stock throughout service on counters and condiment units.
- The preparation, safe operation and cleaning of small items of equipment – to include soup kettles, coffee machines, blenders, dishwashers, counter top ovens, toasters etc used daily within the outlets
- Function Waiting/service to table, Bar Service, (with relevant training), and assistance with buffet service when required
- To maintain a high standard of personal hygiene, and work in a clean and tidy manner.
- Any other relevant duties which may be required from time to time or as the service develops and adapts which may be reasonably expected of the post holder.
- You will be required to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift and conduct manual handling duties on a daily basis such as lifting, carrying, and general movements of equipment and food products.
Education, Qualifications & Experience:
- Advertisement -
These are the criteria on which the short-listing and recruitment selection will be made
- Demonstrable ability to speak and understand English in order to follow verbal and written instructions and deal with customer/student queries
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable excellent customer service
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a pressured environment
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
- Attention to detail
- Advertisement -
- Experience of working within a similar catering and/or cleaning environment
- Experience of operating relevant catering and/or cleaning equipment
How to Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) please submit your CV via the Heriot-Watt on-line recruitment system.
Heriot-Watt University is committed to securing equality of opportunity in employment and to the creation of an environment in which individuals are selected, trained, promoted, appraised and otherwise treated on the sole basis of their relevant merits and abilities. Equality and diversity are all about maximising potential and creating a culture of inclusion for all.
Heriot-Watt University values diversity across our University community and welcomes applications from all sectors of society, particularly from underrepresented groups.
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and leading-edge, relevant research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for innovation, business and industry.
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages. Heriot-Watt is also Scotland’s most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort. Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and leading-edge, relevant research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for innovation, business and industry.
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages. Heriot-Watt is also Scotland’s most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.